Drifting Gipsy

Drifting Gipsy

Thursday 17 April 2014

Born to Be Wild

Hi guys,
I'm sorry I have been a terrible blogger over this week - I've been doing some many things worth blogging about but all these things have left me no time to blog! Actually I had planned to get this written up and posted yesterday. I had the computer set up and ready, tea in hand when we had a bit of a 'who turned out the lights' moment. It turns out our house was one of over 200,000 homes left without power last night in a power-cut covering pretty much all of northern Scotland.

(A map showing the extent of last nights power cut courtesy of BBC News Scotland) 


So on to what I'd planned to say last night:

This last week and a half has been so busy I'm not sure I remember everything I got up to over the period but I shall try my best!
Not long after giving you all my last post I finally got round to having my first proper motorbike lesson (in that really short, casual, non-classroom based kinda way). Now, I have actually already done my Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) which you have to do before you can even have a learners permit. I also spend some time riding around in India a couple of years ago but I've never ridden a manual. So although it was short I think my mini lesson on my other-half's bike in the yard went quite smoothly.

The morning after the bike lesson was lovely and sunny, almost warm even! As both of us had the day off work we decided to have a look around town. The weather inspired me to pick up some gardening things while he got some new fishing gear, although what he bought I have no idea,  fishing is one subject I know nothing about.
On this little day-out I also bought some new fabric for a skirt I'm planning on making out of a pair of old jeans. If it works out  it'll let you see some pictures!
This was all followed by the other-half treating me lunch - definitely the way to anyone's heart!

Typically the weather turned awful as soon as we headed back to the house so I never did get any gardening done before work that night.

The following day was another busy one - although for a change I wasn't working. My mum picked me up from town and we headed to the other end of the island to a place called St Margret's Hope. The community center was having a bit of a table-top sale along with full breakfasts so we made sure to get a long to that. We picked up a couple of plants and despite attempts to declutter the house, we got some more books too.

Next it was off to Sandwick beach for an event called 'Bag the Bruck' where groups get together once a year to clean up the beaches. I do think this should be done more often otherwise it's a bit like fighting a losing battle but once a year is still better than nothing! Unfortunately the weather was horrendous so only one of my mum's Wildlife Explorer's members should up with his dad but between us we did get 10 full bin bags so I guess that counts as a success.

(Mum doing her bit to help despite the awful weather)


Following getting soaked on the beach we went to visit a good friend of ours Pam for coffee and a catch up - as a bonus we got to see her new puppy Axel and her not-so-little kitty too.

Finally we had one last stop before the supermarket and home. When I was travelling last year I stayed with an English couple in Portugal and it turns out her mum stays in Orkney too. At the time it was mentioned that I could maybe help Mandy's mum get set-up with Skype and finally I've been able to do it so they can Skype whenever they like - something I was very happy to help with.

(John, me and Mandy pressing grapes. Mandy's mum - the new Skype pro!)


 This week I also got to be helpful in a very different way. A friend of mine is a Celebrant (someone who can perform weddings) and see was looking for a witness for a wedding she was doing. No one else was coming forward so I offered to help out. The couple were a wonderful pair from Ireland. Although in their later years they had decided to hop on the motorbike and elope to Orkney to get married. The day was wonderful, the ceremony had all of us tearing up and the couple were just lovely.

I think that's all the exciting stuff really although I'd say that's given you plenty! If you really like I could tell you all about my Uni experiment growing beans or about my three jobs but I think Ill just leave you here, in the hope that you'll be back for more soon, and aren't too confused by my posting inconsistency!

Ciao :)

No comments:

Post a Comment